background

20 November 2009

American Dream - maybe not?

Well if you ever want to hear a mommy cry, just come to my house on the day I started back to work - duhn duhn duhnnnn! I will probably catch some slack for what I am about to write, I can understand now why the roles have been defined for men and women. Don't get me wrong, I am a full believer in women - they need to have their own mind, education, job, career, will - however, there's that moment when you realize your "career" you've been striving so hard for is just merely that - a career. Something we all do to make money and pay bills, but in truly evaluating life, we wouldn't have these "careers" - we'd just love on our kids.

I guess the struggle comes in this - as a mom, you want to be there for everything. First words, first steps, first this and that - but also part of being a mom is supporting your family - for me anyway. So where does one end and the other begin? I mean, when I'm at work selecting antique French bugets (a fancy word for thick tile) for a client's private chapel it's hard to justify that against being at home, nurturing my little girl. Perspective, people, perspective. I don't know - just rambling a lot here.

"How do you do this?", I say. Well, we'll just figure it out! Lotto anyone?

1 comment:

Esther said...

Sweetie, there is no fine line between the two... When I was working at the bank I missed lots of "firsts" with Kaleb. It broke my heart, but it's a sacrifice you make because you love your family. You're not doing it so you can drive a lexus and live in a mansion... You're doing it to provide for the people you care the most about. Don't beat yourself up because I'm sure you an amazing Mom, just as you are an amazing woman :) You amaze me, and she will grow up amazed by you and all that a woman can accomplish in life as well!