background

29 November 2009

Turkey - check, Thanksgiving - needs work




"Show me a negative person, and I'll show you someone who's not thankful" - Scott Neal




I heard these words last Sunday as I crouched in the back room of the church, alone with my little girl feeding her. It's kinda nice sitting in that room alone - you get a totally different perspective of church. No distractions around, no squirmy neighbor, and the speakers are a little more muffled - a much easier sound for my sensitive ears. Anyway...I heard Scott say this, and started dwelling on it. I know I am negative - I don't want to be, because I am so thankful. So then, last week, I started on a mission to count my blessings and truly give thanks - not just telling God, but showing thanks. Everyday I made a conscious effort to thank God for what he has given me - and what he hasn't given me.




First, for my family. From Analie to Mema and everyone in between - I am so thankful. Philip, ahhhh, he melts my heart, and I don't know where I'd be without him. We have been through some hell together, and we still smile, that's a blessing.




Second, for my job. Reference my previous post - as much as I want to be home with my little girl, I am thankful that I work for a company and 2 amazing bosses that are compassionate enough to let me have the most flexible schedule. I need to quit belly-aching and see the glass half full.




Third, for food on my table. There have been times when Phil and I purchase food from gift cards and, whew, that's over. I am so thankful that I know I don't have to worry about where a meal will come from. It saddens my heart to think that there are real people in America who fear going hungry.




Fourth, for my children. Period. I can't say much or my keyboard will be covered in tears of joy...and some of sorrow too.




Fifth, for recovery, for happiness. I couldn't even put into words the depths my heart has been in - but I have experienced revitalization, comfort. I'm thankful for a God who heals - who held me in His arms when I was kicking and screaming. For a God who heard my cries and led me by still waters. For a God that doesn't have to explain because He promises He works all things out for good.




It may be a little early for New Year's resolutions, but I have mine - why wait until January to start? I want to be more positive, and show how thankful I am for what I have - to my family, friends, and mostly to God. This should last for more than Thanksgiving - "we will rejoice and be glad in it."

No comments: