background

16 May 2011

She's a little bit country & a little bit rock n roll

The first time Phil told me God was pressing on him to be a pastor I honestly thought he was playing a mean joke on me. I couldn't believe my wild and crazy husband would even want to don a pair of pressed khaki pants, much less be still for long enough to write a sermon - welp...I was right...8 years later, I don't think he has once worn khaki pants :) but oh, I was wrong...oh so wrong, about him being a pastor. My husband is a great shepherd to his sheep - a bunch of unruly adolescents walking through the world in worn out Toms - he is the perfect combination of fun and faith, serious and silly, he is exactly what God had in mind.

So imagine my surprise, when me, Gina "downtown" Brown (lol, no one has ever called me that, just like the sound of it) was selected to sit in the role of the oh-so-desolate "Pastor's Wife"! For many years before we had children, I was Phil's partner in ministry - his right hand, um..woman. Lock-ins, pizza, and games that involve duct tape soon became our Friday night entertainment. It was so fun, so awesome, and so enriching.

About 18 months ago, God truly blessed Phil with a position at New Hope Church. Honestly - it has been amazing! Our church is Texas-sized and even better, our church shares Jesus in a Texas-sized way. To know God and make Him known!

I was so excited last year when I received an email inviting me to the "Armed & Dangerous" Pastor's Wives Retreat ( http://leadingandlovingit.com/ ) in Nashville, Tennessee. I had no idea what to expect. I wondered if I would be the only one inked up (ok, ok...I have one tiny tattoo). I wondered if I would be the only one not sporting a lavender t-shirt with kittens on it and something about "All God's Creatures...". Not that there's anything wrong with lavender kitten shirts, it's just not me...Downtown Gina Brown. :)

Man, I was so relieved when we stepped into the most awesome hotel in Nashville (Union Station http://www.unionstationhotelnashville.com/ ) and I met some REAL pastor's wives face to face. Not only were they wearing cute clothes (not that it's important, but I like me some cute clothes) but they felt real to me. Not plastic at all, but very transparent and relative. Gotta give some props to the ladies who made this retreat happen - every detail was thought of!

The best part of it all was getting to connect with the other 7 pastor's wives of New Hope...those women are all amazing...and NONE of us are the stereotypical pastor's wives. We laughed, and cried, and laughed some more. Everyone one of them has something that makes them a blessing - stillness, grace, humor - I am so thankful to be grouped with this brood of wonderful women and can't wait to continue to grow with them.

The end. Amen, and aaaamen!

No comments: